Tuesday 17 June 2008

Empty Chairs and Empty Tables

Did the last theatre Stop for Gethin at Ystradgynlais Welfare Hall last Saturday, It was a bit of a red letter day to be honest, taking Gethin back to where the story was born, Performing the Myth only a stone's throw from John Gethin's birthplace at Waunngurlais farm. I was really excited if not a little nervous, How would people react? Were there people who would object to my take on the myth? Would it be well received? . Anyway the last few weeks has been manic so it was with great trepidation that I rolled into Ystrad, only to find that before-hand five tickets had been sold.......
My heart sunk to a new low when I then realised that those five tickets had been prebooked by a cast member. In other words not a single ticket had moved independently.
Amazing.
Trying my best to ignore the despair I got on with rehearsing and preparing the show and by the time the curtain went up we did have an audience of thirty, which all things considering was quite good.
As for the show, it went really well, it was amazing watching a piece that I had written being beautifully acted by a lovely cast and its now that I must thank, Billy Lyons Eleanor Flaherty Kath Weare , and Rachel Howells for bringing these characters so wonderfully to life. It made me a very proud and privileged man, I think the show was far slicker and faster than before and as everyone just slotted into things so well it went superbly,and for that great thanks must go to our wonderful stage Manager Luke Willaims who was superb as ever.
Anyway the sadness of many empty seats has only renewed my drive to try and make these Myths more popular and to try and make the audience fall in love with them once again.

Will I succeed. Time will tell............

No comments: